Citizenship And Immigration Canada Updates

Citizenship And Immigration Canada (CIC) Updates

Notice – New regulations for international students finalized

New rules that aim to strengthen Canada’s status as a study destination of choice for prospective international students will take effect on June 1, 2014.The new regulations will improve services to genuine students, while protecting Canada’s international reputation for high-quality education and reducing the potential for fraud and misuse of the program.Here is a summary of the changes:

Current regulations

New regulations, as of June 1, 2014

Applicants must show that they intend to pursue studies in Canada when applying for a study permit.Applicants must enrol in and continue to pursue studies in Canada.  Failure to do so could lead to removal from Canada.
Applicants may apply for a study permit to pursue studies at any educational institution in Canada.Study permits will only be issued to successful applicants who are pursuing studies at an educational institution that has been designated to receive international students.
Study permit holders pursuing studies at publicly-funded and certain privately-funded post-secondary institutions must apply for an Off-Campus Work Permit to be able to work up to 20 hours per week off-campus during the academic session and full-time during scheduled breaks.Study permits will automatically authorize the holder to work off-campus for up to 20 hours per week during the academic session and full-time during scheduled breaks without the need to apply for a separate work permit. The study permit holder must be pursuing academic, vocational or professional training of six months or more that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate at a designated institution.
Any international student can apply for a Co-Op Work Permit if a co-op placement is an integral element of their course of study.Only international students who are pursuing studies at a secondary school or at a designated institution may apply for a Co-Op Work Permit if a co-op placement is an integral part of their course of study.
Visitors may not apply for a study permit from within CanadaVisitors may apply for a study permit from within Canada if they are at the pre-school, primary or secondary level, are on an academic exchange or a visiting student at a designated learning institution, or have completed a course or program of study that is a condition for acceptance at a designated learning institution.
International students who have completed their studies but hold valid study permits can remain legally in Canada until the expiration of their study permit.A study permit becomes invalid 90 days following the completion of studies unless the foreign national also possesses a valid work permit or another authorization to remain in Canada.
There are no references in existing regulations that clearly state that Registered Indians who are also foreign nationals are exempt from the requirement to obtain a study permit.Registered Indians who are also foreign nationals may study in Canada without a study permit as they have the right of entry into Canada.
Study permit holders are not authorized to work after the completion of their studies while awaiting approval of their Post-Graduation Work PermitEligible international graduates will be authorized to work full-time after their studies are completed until a decision is made on their application for a Post-Graduation Work Permit.

Additional information

  • Education is the responsibility of the provinces and territories. The educational institutions that will be designated will be determined by provincial and territorial governments in coming months.
  • International students enrolling in courses in Canada that will last six months or less do not need a study permit. This is not changing. Students from countries whose citizens require a visitor visa will still need a valid visitor visa.
  • Study permit holders who are studying at a non-designated institution when the new regulations come into effect will be permitted to complete their program of study, up to a maximum of three years after the regulations take effect.
  • International students who are studying at a non-designated institution and hold either an Off-Campus Work Permit or a Co-Op Work Permit will be permitted to continue to use, and renew if necessary, those work permits until they complete their program of study, up to a maximum of three years after the regulations take effect.
  • Additional operational measures to support transitional regulations will be announced closer to June 1, 2014, when the new rules take effect.

For more details:



  • Those who have previously been refused any Canadian study permit application are not eligible to apply under SPP.
  • Complete and place this checklist on top of your application.
  • Consult VFS website for forms and instructions
  • Any document not in English or French must be accompanied by a certified translation.
  • Failure to submit all required documentation may result in the refusal of your application or delay processing.
  • False statements or submission of fraudulent documents will result in immediate refusal.
  • After submission of all required documents you may be required to attend an interview.
  • A medical exam will be required for study program exceeding 6 months. SPP applicants can undergo Up-Front Medical examinations, per instructions below.
  • Any preparations you make, such as paying administration or tuition fees, are done entirely at your own risk.
  • Do not finalize travel plans unless you have received a visa.
  • Applications will not be accepted by VFS under the Student Partner Program without a copy of the formal GIC document issued by Scotia Bank. No wire transfers or bank remittances will be accepted as a proof of purchase of a GIC.


  • We strongly recommend that you submit your application at least three months ahead of your proposed date of travel. Applications that are received after 01 April for May entry, after 01 August for September entry and after 01 December for January entry will not normally be processed in time for the start of classes and will likely be refused.
  • If you intend to undergo a pre-application medical examination, please follow the instructions below.
  • When submitting your completed and signed application form be sure to include the last page (page 5 of 5) that will contain your data in barcodes in 02 copies. Read more….(SPP Checklist January 2014 pdficon)