The New Zealand Immigration Service (INZ) is the government authority responsible for issuing visas and permits to enter New Zealand.

 Studying in New Zealand as a Visitor

If you are in New Zealand as a visitor, you may take a single course of study that lasts less than three months without needing a student permit. If you want to take more than one course, and/or study for longer than three months, you can apply for a student permit while you are in New Zealand.

 Going to New Zealand to Study

If you are outside New Zealand and planning to study full time for more than three months, you will need a student visa and a student permit, unless you are from a country that has a special agreement with New Zealand.

 Application Requirements

Application forms can be obtained from GeeBee office or from: To get a student visa and permit, you have to be enrolled in an approved course at an institution that has been accredited to offer that course. Your Application will require:
  • A recent passport-size photograph.
  • Payment of a non-refundable application fee.
  • Geebee Education can assist you with your application.
You need:
  • Evidence of payment of the fee or exemption from the fee. (Not necessary if your application is being approved in principle.)
  • A written guarantee from a New Zealand education institution or person that suitable accommodation is available to you in New Zealand.
  • Evidence of sufficient funds to live on while you are studying.
  • A return air ticket to your country, or evidence of sufficient funds to buy one.
For courses longer than 24 months, you will also have to provide medical and x-ray certificates that are less than three months old (for students intending to be in New Zealand over 9 months, see the paragraph below regarding Screening for Tuberculosis). If you are over 17, a police clearance certificate is required. See:

 Screening for Tuberculosis – a new requirement (from 1 April 2004)

People applying for student visas or permits who intend spending more than 6 months in New Zealand now must be screened for tuberculosis (TB) if they:
  • Have NOT previously provided a full medical screening test to the New Zealand Immigration Service and;
  • Do NOT hold a passport from any of the identified low TB risk countries* (see below); or
  • Have spent (lived and/or visited) a combined total of three months or more (in the five years prior to applying) in a country/countries NOT identified as a low TB risk country* (see below);
For example: If you hold a UK passport and, at any time in the five years prior to applying, you spent five weeks in Thailand and seven weeks in Fiji, you will need to have a TB screening examination. Note: This does not apply to pregnant women and children under the age of 12.


If you need more information, you can visit the immigration website:  See: Health Systems. Identified low TB risk countries : Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, The Netherlands, (New Zealand), Norway, Puerto Rico, San Marino, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States of America, Vatican City.
Basic Steps for Applyin You will need a student visa if you wish to come to New Zealand to study full-time for longer than 3 months.You can only get a student visa to study in a course at an education institution, which is registered and approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority. Your student visa will be issued for the length of time your course tuition fees have been paid. If you are studying a long-term course at secondary school, University or Polytechnic you will normally pay your tuition fees every year. The student visa must be renewed each year in New Zealand before the expiry date.

 Applying for a Student Visa

When applying for Student Visa, you will also need to include:
  • Complete ‘Application for Student Visa’ Forms
  • A recent passport-size photograph
  • Payment of a non-refundable visa application fee
  • An ‘Offer of Place’ from a New Zealand education school or institution which states that you have been accepted by the school, the name of the course, the minimum time to complete the course and the course fee.
  • Evidence of sufficient funds to cover the tuition fee and living and other expenses
  • Academic certificates and Marksheets
g to a New Zealand Institution are:
  • Identifying universities and the course of your interest.
  • Request universities for application forms.
  • Taking various required tests like IELTS, etc.
  • Arranging and preparing essays and recommendation letters.
  • Completing and sending application forms along with required documents.
  • Applying for VISA after obtaining Offer Letter from the college.