Given below are a few pointers towards your long stay in New Zealand. Besides the basics, the guide includes other details such as climate, clothing to suit the seasons, transport and even tips on shopping and staying healthy.
You will find this section a useful guide about New Zealand. It explains everything from the basics, such as New Zealand Political system, Religion, Tax system, etc.
It is very important for an international student to be proficient in English to be able to study in a country whose official language is English. New Zealand is no exception. A student must give the IELTS and obtain the minimum score required for his particular course set by the chosen University of New Zealand.
This section provides information about English proficiency requirements and about IELTS (International English Language Testing System).
English is the main medium of instruction in New Zealand, except at Maori institutions. It is therefore important for international students to give proof their proficiency in English to the University they wish to study with.
Tertiary institutions (studies at UG level) will ask for original documents or certified photocopies of one of the following:
- IELTS score of overall band score of 6.0 with no band less than 5.5. IELTS is a recognized test for most institutions in countries such as NZ, UK, Canada and Australia whose official language is English. It assesses your ability to read, write, speak and listen in academic or general training contexts. It as been developed and managed by the University of Cambridge, the British Council and IDP Education Australia.
- A pass in English in the GCE (General Certificate of Education) ‘O’ level examination
The educational institutes and universities in New Zealand offer world-class education with updated industry-based curriculum and programmes which are globally recognized. In fact, all the 8 Universities of the country are ranked among the top 3 % in the world by QS World University Rankings 2018.
This section takes you through the universities Application Procedures step by step. It starts with Examination Procedure right till Assistance Available and Bank Loans. It also gives a helpful guide for Studying in New Zealand, Induction and Orientation and Quality Assurance.
You will need to have a valid passport and a visa in order to enter New Zealand. Since it can take several months to obtain a passport and all the documentation, start the process as soon as you can. Here you will find information regarding Visa requirements and procedures.
This section gives you details about your Work Permits and employment Opportunity.
Tertiary study – (NZ$18,000-$25,000 per annum, contingent on your course. Up to $40,000 for postgraduate courses.) Bank Loans are easily available for higher studies anywhere in the world. Loans should be preferably taken from a Nationalized Bank. The term & condition for educational loans may vary from Bank to Bank. See below for more details:
World-renowned universities providing world-class education
New Zealand is one of the most attractive foreign education destinations for international students looking for a high quality of education. All eight universities of the country ranked high in QS World ranking and Times higher education ranking providing the best possible opportunity for the students. Qualification authority of the country (NZQA) ensures all the institutions are registered to enroll international students and obey the qualifications standards.
Less stringent entry requirements
New Zealand has moderate entry requirements so that international students can easily apply for the courses that they offer. The country’s government invests a large amount of money in its higher education sector, both in quality and infrastructure, aiming to attract more students in the increasing globalized scenario. In fact, they allocate the highest percentage of public funding to education in the world.
Ease of visa acquisition and residency
The country follows a streamlined and point-based visa application process in order to avoid ambiguity and arbitrariness. Immigration New Zealand is working with the Education New Zealand and international education providers to develop an improved partnership model to increase the New Zealand study visa success rate. Further, many universities provide on-campus visa renewal and extension services to international students for a quick, stress-free, and proper application process. They manage, monitor, and follow up on your visa application in a well-timed manner.
The safe and welcoming environment
New Zealand is one of the safest countries in the world to live with very low crime rates. The country has never seen any major war in its history. While studying here, students can be assured of a welcoming and friendly environment with an extraordinary support system.
Plenty to see and explore while studying in New Zealand
New Zealand is a beautiful country with a picturesque landscape with unique fauna and flora. You can enjoy the mesmerizing view of rolling green hills, fjords, glaciers, beaches, mountains and so on. New Zealand is a heaven for hikers and trekkers, and natural beauty junkies. Cities are a cosmopolitan mix of cafes, shopping, movies, and nightlife.
Chance to stay in
After completing your studies in New Zealand; students can apply for a Graduate Job Search Work Visa for a maximum duration of 12 months. After getting the job offer letter you can apply for a visa up to 2 or 3 years under the Study to Work category.
Numerous Scholarships in New Zealand
The New Zealand Government, universities and private institutions provide numerous scholarships for international students seeking to study in New Zealand.
High in cost-effectiveness
New Zealand has the lowest tuition among all other countries study abroad. The country’s education is based on the British education system. It is easier for Indian students to blend in the New Zealand education system.
The 8 universities in New Zealand are:
- Auckland University of Technology
- University of Canterbury
- Lincoln University
- University of Otego
- University of Auckland
- Massey University
- University of Waikato
- Victoria University of Wellington
The country offers numerous options for international students.
- Level 1, 2, 3, and 4- Certificates
- Level 5 and 6 Diplomas
- Level 7 Bachelor’s Degree and graduate diploma
- Level 8 Post Graduate Diploma
- Level 9 Masters Degree
- Level 10 Doctorate/PhD
In every academic level, there are numerous options for students, who wish to study aboard in New Zealand.
TOP COURSES TO STUDY IN NEW ZEALAND FOR INDIAN STUDENTS
New Zealand universities are well-known for the following degrees. You can study in New Zealand, in any of the following academic levels:
- Business Studies
- Engineering Forestry
- IT and Computer Science
- Art and design
- Business management
- Health care
- Sports management
The country is world-renowned for its courses like Information Technology, Computer Science, and Animation. The animation is the most popular course in New Zealand!
Generally, a bachelor’s degree takes three years but if you are planning to do an honors course, it will take 4 years of study. However, this rule is not universally applicable to all universities. Hence, it is advisable to check with the university you are planning to apply for foreign study in New Zealand.
- Graduate Diploma
- Graduate Certificate
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Bachelor’s Degree with Honors
Post Graduate Courses
- Post Graduate Diploma
- Post Graduate Certificate
- Masters Degree
- The general eligibility criteria for studies in New Zealand are mentioned below:English Requirement
- Both undergraduate and Master courses, the applicant must have a minimum score of 6.5 in IELTS for (the score depends on the course and university).
- Several universities ask for a minimum score of 50 in PTE Academic for undergraduate and 64 for Masters Courses.
- 12 years of elementary and secondary education (12th /Intermediate).
- Most universities accept a minimum of 75% aggregate marks and a minimum of 60% in English
- Mathematics in class XII as a requirement (for some Sciences and Technology courses).
- Minimum mandatory IELTS/PTE Academic scores
Masters in New Zealand
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum compulsory IELTS / PTE Academic scores.
- Relevant work experience (for MBA and IT program).
- The lists of documents required for applying to universities are:
- Class 10 mark sheet
- Class 10 Passing Certificate
- Class 12 Mark sheet
- Class 12 Passing Certificate
- Bachelor’s Mark sheets
- Provisional Certificate/Graduation Degree
- Supportive documents:
- Appointment letter/work experience letters
- Proof of work experience (for courses like MBA and Masters in IT)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Diplomas certificates if relevant
- GMAT/GRE results
- IELTS/ PTE Academic scores
- Letter of Recommendation (if applicable)
- Statement of purpose
- Proof of other extracurricular and co-curricular activities to support your application.
Financial Documents required are:
- A valid passport
- An offer letter from a New Zealand education provider for an NZQA approved the course.
- Proof of sufficient funds:
Money for tuition fee (self/sponsor)
• Financial undertaking by the sponsor to cover living expenses.
• Scholarship letter (if applicable).
• The student must show that they are having NZ$ 15,000 per annum to support their living expenses.
• Evidence for air tickets that you will leave New Zealand after completing studies in New Zealand.
- The complete the medical examination report and chest X-ray for courses having a duration of more than 1 year.
- The international students planning to study in New Zealand for more than 2 years must submit a police certificate.
- Medical insurance is mandatory
- TT receipt /Fee receipt
STUDENT’S LIFE IN NEW ZEALAND
New Zealand has a high quality of life index.
Safety for International students in New Zealand
The country has strict laws to safeguard the security and welfare of all the internal students coming to the country and offer one of the best supportive and secure atmosphere for them. It is mandatory to follow the “Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students” an inclusive manuscript that guarantees the protection of the rights of international students. It is compulsory for international students to have medical and travel insurance.